Turkey Call : What is it?
A turkey call is a sound-creating device that mimics animal noises used for luring wild turkeys to come up close for a killing. It can make a variation of sounds depending on the skill and experience of the user. It can make different pitches, rhythms, or speeds for executing different call strategies.
Kinds of Turkey Calls include the following:
- A box turkey call is used to imitate the clucks, yelps, and purrs of a wild turkey.
- It is the loudest type of turkey call, reaching and covering a lot of ground.
- It is ideal for windy days.
- It consists of a wooden box with thin sidewalls and a hinged lid.
- The top is dragged across the side of the wall to make various high, screech-like sounds.
- Chalk is usually applied to the underside of the lid to heighten the friction for making reedy sounds.
- It should be protected from moisture because it can flatten or deaden the sound.
- A slate turkey call, also called a friction call, is used to mimic the clucks, yelps, and purrs of a wild turkey.
- It is also used for making soft calls to make a nearby turkey come even closer.
- It consists of a slate and a separate striker. The striker is dragged across the plate to make screechy sounds.
- The slate can be made of different materials such as glass, aluminum, or ceramic. Each material gives off a different volume, tone, and sound.
- The modified versions of slate calls with glass or aluminum plates work well even in wet weather.
- A mouth turkey call, also called a diaphragm or a tube call, is said to make the most realistic turkey sounds.
- It uses latex reeds to produce sound.
|Types: For a more effective calling, buy at least two different types of turkey calls, one of which should be a mouth call for its hands-free versatility, effectiveness, simplicity, and affordability. For hunting during windy days, get a box call that gives off a loud sound that can carry over the wind.|
Two-tone: Look for a box call with two-tone chambers to achieve a ringing raspiness. This type of box call can produce high pitches and deep sounds for making more mature turkey sounds.
recommended turkey calls