Goose Call : What is it?
A goose call is a sound-creating device that can mimic basic goose calls. Usually made of wood or acrylic, it consists of a compact tube and a reed assembly, or a diaphragm. Air is blown through one end, causing the reed or the diaphragm to vibrate and produce different goose sounds like the hail (greeting), cluck (feeding), and comeback. A goose call is available in resonant chamber, flute, and tube types.
Kinds of Goose Calls include the following:
|Resonant chamber goose call|
- A resonant chamber goose call produces loud sounds.
- However, it does not have a tonal range as vast as the flute’s.
- It has a barrel enclosing the stopper that houses the reed assembly.
- Air is blown through it, causing the reed to vibrate against the housing and produce a unique sound.
- It is easy to use.
Goose call flute
- A goose call flute produces a wide variety of tones that can mimic the different sounds of Canada geese.
- The reed vibrates when air is blown through it. The user can control the air pressure by cupping a hand over the call’s open end.
- To produce authentic goose sounds, the user needs to constrict air flow by placing the tongue against the roof of the mouth while exhaling.
- It can have features like a back pressure hose and a reed relocation mechanism.
Goose call tube
- A goose call tube is the simplest type of goose call but is one of the hardest to use.
- It consists of a stretched rubber diaphragm inside a small tube.
- It is extremely lightweight.
- It requires experienced goose call skills.
|Skill level: If you are a beginner, choose a resonant chamber goose call that is easy to practice with. Get a goose call flute if you are an experienced caller looking for a wide tonal range. |
Accessories: If you are a beginner, look for a goose call that comes with an instruction video that can teach you the basics and techniques of goose calling.
Hunting location: For hunting geese over water, choose a goose call flute. Get a resonant chamber type for hunting geese over a field.
|Are you a manufacturer or supplier? Be listed here! EMAIL US|
|Do you have something to add to this guide? If your suggestion passes our editorial standards, we will add it in and acknowledge you as a contributor.|
recommended goose calls