Bass Guitar String : What is it?
Bass guitar strings consist of four strings made of metal coils. They are tuned to the key of E, A, D, and G. The fundamental currency of the E string is set at 41.2 Hz. Other electric bass guitars can have five strings or more, but these types are highly specialized.
The tone of the bass strings vary depending on their type and contruction. The age of the strings also has a great impact on the sound. Overtime, bass guitar strings become prone to corrosion, oxidation, and grime buildup, and this leads to a duller sound. They have to be replaced immediately when this happens.
Kinds of Bass Guitar Strings include the following:
|Flatwound bass guitar strings|
- Flatwound bass strings are specially wound and polished to have smooth surfaces.
- They have a smooth, damped sound similar to double bass guitar strings.
- They were used in early bass guitars.
- Today, they are still used by bassists who want a smooth, vintage, and damped sound.
Roundwound bass guitar strings
- Roundwound bass guitar strings are similar to guitar strings in shape, but they are thicker and less prone to snapping.
- They were introduced in the 1960s and 1970s when they became more popular than the flatwound bass guitar strings.
- They have a brighter timbre and greater sustain than flatwound bass guitar strings.
Half-round bass guitar strings
- Half-round bass guitar strings are partially ground.
- They are a cross between the flatwound and roundwound bass guitar strings.
- They have the comfort and depth of tone provided by flatwound bass strings and the brightness and clarity of roundwound bass strings.
|Materials used: Choose bass guitar strings made with nickel-plated steel wrap called nickel-wound bass strings to get a clearer and captivating tone. This type of bass guitar strings is preferred by many rock bassists. For long gigs and marathon studio sessions requiring sustainability, choose stainless steel bass guitar strings to get a smoother and more comfortable feel, and reduce finger noise. |
Core: Choose bass guitar strings with a round core shape for durability. They have more mass and more cohesive contact between the core wire and the outer wrap.
|Are you a manufacturer or supplier? Be listed here! EMAIL US|
|Do you have something to add to this guide? If your suggestion passes our editorial standards, we will add it in and acknowledge you as a contributor.|
recommended bass guitar strings