Necklace : What is it?
Necklaces are worn around the neck to accent or decorate an outfit. They are usually made of gold, silver or other precious metals, although leather and fabric ones are also available. Some necklaces have precious stones wound on a string, while others are simple metal chains. Others have a single jewel, called a pendant, suspended from the chain. Necklaces also come in different lengths, ranging from 16 to over 40 inches.
Kinds of Necklaces include the following:
- Collars are 12 to 13 inches long and hug the neck closely.
- They usually consist of three or more strands strung together.
- They are often decorated with pearls or other precious stones.
- Chokers are 14 to 16 inches long and sit close to the base of the neck.
- They can be made of metal, beads, or fabrics such as leather or velvet.
- Some are decorated with studs or pendants.
- Princess necklaces are 17 to 19 inches long and rest a few inches below the neck.
- They are the best length for adding charms or pendants.
- They are ideal for accenting formal wear and low necklines.
- Matinee necklaces are 22 to 24 inches long and sit just above the cleavage.
- They are usually thick or strung with precious stones.
- They are commonly used with casual, business, and daytime wear.
- Opera necklaces are 30 to 32 inches long and sit on or below the bust.
- They may be divided into two strands to create a tiered necklace.
- They are the most common length used for formal wear.
- Rope necklaces are 40 inches or longer.
- They may be looped into two to three strands, or knotted to adjust length and add style.
- They can also be used as necklace and bracelet combinations.
|Clasp: Choose a necklace with a sturdy clasp to keep it from falling. Look for one with a snap or hook closure for a strong hold and easy application. Pearl or jeweled necklaces are usually heavy, so use them with a screw clasp for a more secure closure.|
Chain material: Choose a necklace with a gold or silver chain for a classic look. These chains go with any outfit and will last years. Make sure they do not contain nickel, which can irritate the skin. If you are buying a fabric collar or choker, choose leather over velvet for easier maintenance.
|Are you a manufacturer or supplier? Be listed here! EMAIL US|
|Do you have something to add to this guide? If your suggestion passes our editorial standards, we will add it in and acknowledge you as a contributor.|