Knee Brace : What is it?
Knee braces are supports worn around the knees usually made from a combination of materials such as foam, metal, plastic, and elastic materials. They provide rehabilitative assistance and comfort to injured knees and frontal impact protection to undamaged ones. They are commonly used in sports and after knee surgery.
Kinds of Knee Braces include the following:
|Knee sleeves |
- Knee sleeves are made of neoprene covered in nylon.
- They are designed to be slipped over the knees.
- They are expandable.
- They provide warmth, compression, support, and extra protection to the knees in sports or in ordinary daily activities.
- They can also enhance proprioception.
- Some models are designed to cure postoperative knee effusions.
- They usually allow the addition of kneepads inside or outside the sleeves for extra cushioning of the anterior knees and the patella.
Prophylactic knee braces
- Prophylactic knee braces consist of one or two lateral bars, hinges, and straps.
- They are made with deformable metals that absorb impact.
- They protect the medial collateral ligaments from stress and impacts caused by contact sports.
- They also prevent rotational stress to the anterior ligaments in the knees.
Functional knee braces
- Functional knee braces are usually made of metallic plastic composites.
- They are made with rigid shells and lateral and medial vertical hinges to prevent deformation.
- They limit hyperextension and improve the stability of wobbly knees.
- They provide protection from rotational stresses and anteroposterior forces.
- They are commonly used for six to 12 months after anterior cruciate ligament surgery.
Postoperative or rehabilitative knee braces
- Postoperative or rehabilitative knee braces are used after knee surgery.
- They consist of foam liners surrounding the thighs, knees, and calves, and adjustable lateral and medial rigid bars that allow a controlled range of motion.
- They protect injured knee ligaments and control flexion during the healing period.
- They are commonly used during crutch-assisted ambulation.
- They are commonly prefabricated and designed according to the needs or the user.
|Elasticity: For maximum support and comfort to injured or uninjured knees, choose elastic knee braces made of stretchable and breathable fibers. |
|Are you a manufacturer or supplier? Be listed here! EMAIL US|
|Do you have something to add to this guide? If your suggestion passes our editorial standards, we will add it in and acknowledge you as a contributor.|
recommended knee braces