Electric Car : What is it?
An electric car is powered by an electric battery. It uses a reasonably efficient and low cost internal combustion engine. It does not generate exhaust, making it environment-friendly. In effect, it significantly reduces urban smog, carbon dioxide emission, and noise pollution.
However, an electric car has a number of limitations, too. Its battery requires two to three hours of charging before it can be used. In addition, once fully charged, it can run no more than 100 miles before the battery drains. It can travel even less during extremely hot or cold weather and on steep and rocky roads. Charging stations are not yet common these days, so that also poses a problem to using an electric car.
Kinds of Electric Cars include the following:
|Pure electric car|
- A pure electric car relies solely on an electric battery to operate, which can be charged at night or while in the office.
- It uses one or several electric motors.
- Its motor gathers power from a controller, which in turn gets power from the rechargeable battery.
- It does not have a gas tank, a transmission engine, and a tailpipe. However, it has a charger and a volt gauge as a substitute for the gas gauge.
- It does not generate exhaust.
- It runs quietly.
- However, it cannot run more than 100 miles.
- It also functions poorly during extreme weather conditions.
Hybrid electric car
- A hybrid electric vehicle (HEV) can be run by an electric motor and a gasoline engine.
- Its engine charges the battery, providing extra power and extending the car's range.
- It has a generator that produces the electric power, a fuel tank, a transmission engine that puts it in gear, and a battery.
- It can run longer than a pure electric car.
- It uses light materials and low resistance tires that increase mileage.
- It has reduced emissions.
- However, it does not have a fast acceleration. It is also more likely to get into car accidents.
|Prebuilt construction: If you are a first time buyer, get a prebuilt electric car that already comes with everything you need such a motor, receiver, radio, servo, and an electronic speed controlling system that sends the battery power to the motor.|
|Are you a manufacturer or supplier? Be listed here! EMAIL US|
|Do you have something to add to this guide? If your suggestion passes our editorial standards, we will add it in and acknowledge you as a contributor.|
recommended electric cars